Areas currently served include:
Brampton, Bramalea, North Etobicoke, Malton and West Woodbridge
There is one dedicated phone number to call: 1-888-582-1943
In response to the devastating impact COVID-19 has had on vulnerable people in LTC homes, William Osler Health System (Osler) launched a program to provide fast access to virtual consultations with Medical Specialists and the Nurse Practitioner Led Outreach Team (NLOT) on April 24, 2020.
The Virtual Consultation Program is intended to provide medical support for frail and vulnerable residents in LTC homes who are ill; a virtual consultation can potentially reduce the need for a hospital visit.
When a LTC home contacts Osler at the dedicated number, they will receive a response to a consultation request within 30 minutes. They will have access to:
- 24/7 Daily: Emergency Medicine and Palliative Care
- 9am – 9pm Daily*: NLOT Nurse Practitioner (Navigator), Mental Health (Critical Incidents, Assessment for Form 1, Suicidal Thoughts, Aggressive Behaviour), Geriatrics
*Note: Effective August 8th, NLOT Nurse Practitioner hours will be Monday-Friday 9am – 9pm and Saturday-Sunday 9am – 5pm.
- 8am – 4pm Daily: General Internal Medicine
In addition to the NLOT Nurse Practitioner and Osler Specialist virtual consults, the comprehensive approach to support for the LTC residents also includes:
- Osler Geriatric Emergency Management (GEM) nurses support seamless movement of LTC residents within Osler hospital sites.
- Pathways for LTC residents to Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology to avoid delays and follow IPAC protocols to assure the safety and limit exposure of LTC residents while visiting Osler
- Enhanced connections with Osler ambulatory clinics to address the needs of the LTC residents, including/not exclusive to blood transfusions, fracture clinic, etc. The Program is new and will expand and change in response to the needs of this community.
- Capacity building via the telephone/virtually to support LTC staff questions and problem solving.
Osler will arrange a secure Zoom meeting and send the invitation link by email or make a telephone call. The LTC home’s most responsible physician (MRP) or appropriate alternate will consult with the Specialist(s) and/or NLOT Nurse Practitioner to recommend the best plan of care.
Osler will set up the Zoom meeting through their secure Enterprise version (PHIPA compliant). Training materials for Zoom are available from Osler, as well as online training from the Zoom application.
Advance Preparation by LTC Home:
To participate in the Virtual Consultation Program, we ask that the designated callers from your organization (e.g., Medical Director, physician, charge nurse, Director of Care or alternate) learn how to use Zoom. This is the preferred virtual care channel.
Ideally, the LTC home will have access to Apple iPads, equivalent tablets or cell phones with a camera to help conduct virtual visual examinations. The devices must be equipped with both sound and a camera.
Alternatively, Osler will set up a phone call for the consultation. However, this will preclude a virtual visual examination, if required.
Quick guide to using the Virtual Consultation Program: 1-888-582-1943
Resources for LTC Homes
Please check the CCRC Reviews page for further information. Particularly relevant are as follows: