- Bronchoscopy should be avoided in suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases, as this is a highly aerosol-generating medical procedure (AGMP) (tracheal aspirate and NP swab will provide much of the same information).
- If bronchoscopy is absolutely required, only perform on intubated patients, noting:
- Temporary paralysis with rocuronium is recommended when performing bronchoscopy.
- Video bronchoscope only – An eyepiece bronchoscope should not be used in suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases.
Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS)
- While lung ultrasound may be abnormal in patients with COVID-19, the test utility is limited and there is little quality data.
- Attention to excellent infection control practices for POCUS is necessary whenever ultrasound is used.